- Customer Reviews
Cooking Guide is a cook book application based on the Japanese hit Shaberu! DS Ryouri Navi but with numerous recipes from all over the world. Cooking Guide provides numerous convenience features and additional information (e.g. on preparing ingredients) to facilitate cooking which go beyond the capabilities of printed cook books. As indicated by the title, the software guides the user through a recipe by enunciating the cooking instructions, and can also be voice-controlled while cooking!
The goal of Cooking Guide is to aid users in cooking for themselves on a regular basis, preparing the actual dishes and, thereby, to encourage them to pay attention to healthy living and proper nutrition.
Cooking Guide features:
- Ingredient quantities for a given number of servings - allows for automatically adjusting quantities for 1, 2, 4 and 6 servings for all recipes.
- Indicates both obligatory and recommended utensils for every dish - provides an overview of necessary and optional tools such as pans, pots and spatulas.
- Provides statistics on how often, when and what the user has cooked so far - calendar view with colour-coded stamps similar to the Brain Training games.
- Convenience functionality like a timer and list of favourites - keep the time, e.g. while cooking pasta, and search recipes previously marked as 'favourite'.
- Pre-selection criteria narrow down recipes to a shortlist - search recipes e.g. by country, type, difficulty, calories, main ingredient, cooking time and method as well as keywords (like 'creamy' or 'spicy').
- Advanced handwriting recognition used throughout the software - the software uses an advanced version of the familiar handwriting recognition of other Touch! Generations games which allows for writing complete (shorter) words.
- Allows for adding user comments and saving them with the recipes - similar to an actual cookbook, the software can store user notes on each recipe; while this might be a bit cumbersome at first, it is better to store than scribbled notes in a cookbook.
- Preparation tips for ingredients and base recipes - includes reusable base recipes like various sauces, pesto and soup stock.
- Video illustrations and textual information on cooking techniques - explains complex tasks like preparing various types of fish, making California Rolls etc.
- European substitutes or substitute combinations for unusual Asian ingredients - suggests replacements for ingredients that might be hard and / or expensive to get.
- Features and recipes are unlocked over time and upon meeting certain criteria - some features and mostly recipes are unlocked, e.g. upon cooking all European recipes etc.